Thursday, September 18, 2008

So I fell Off the Wagon....

Pin It ...the blog wagon.... I haven't written in a while. Not since before summer holidays. So long ago that I can't even remember what I wrote about last.
So things have been puttering along here. We went away for a couple of weeks in the summer. Superman's cousin got married and we went out for the wedding, in Canmore. We got to do a little camping too. We figured it was just as expensive to buy a tent and camp out as it was to get a hotel their and back, and we'd have the tent for years, so we got one. The kids loved camping, although it wasn't real camping. We were so close to everyone else that to me it was awkward. But we got a campfire, hot dogs, and s'mores, so who can complain?

We had a really good time. The only bad thing that happened was on the way out, we saw a greyhound bus on the side of the road, with tarp over the front of it and a coroner van nearby. I wondered what the heck happened, but never, in my wildest imagination, could I have even come close to the facts. I found out two days later, and could not get it out of my mind the entire trip. Even now, having to drive on the highway, I think of it, and have horrible images of what occurred. We also saw a gas tanker turned over on it's side a little further up the way. I hope that story had a happier ending.

We stayed in Calgary for a couple of days (where his cousin is from), and then headed out to Sicamous, BC with Superman's aunt and uncle, his mom, and his sister and her family. Thank goodness it was a big cabin! It was so beautiful there. The kids had a great time. My favorite part of the whole thing was going hiking. There's a little hike nearby the cabin, easy for the little ones, along a waterfall/rock bed creek. We went a couple of times. The last time we went it was so fun because the kids really got into it and they wanted to traverse the creek and climb on the rocks and fallen trees. It was so great! They were so cute. (Of course, it was the one time I didn't bring my camera.) They were great listeners and always waited for help climbing over the wet rocks; they were so excited to be little adventurers. I thought that they might be a little nervous, especially Bean, but she didn't hesitate at all. She even drank straight from the creek. They were soaked up to their bums by the time we were finished but it was well worth it!

On our way back to Calgary we were caught in a thunderstorm. I had never seen lightning so close up before; I thought it was a regular occurrence there since they are at such a higher elevation, but Auntie V said that it wasn't that common to see it like that. We got quite a show for about 45 minutes until we reached their house, but it lasted about 2 hours. It was amazing that even though their were flashes of lightning less than ten seconds apart for almost the entire time, we didn't get rain until after we got in the house! We saw lightning strike something just off the road probably less than 500 metres away and got a little fireworks display. I saw another flash of lightning so close up that I saw the light disperse the way you see a firework disperse--it was so amazing. I don't know if all lightning dissipates that way or if it also hit something ,but it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.
But alas, we had to come home and return to reality. School started for the kids a couple of weeks ago. Sprout is loving it, but her teacher tells me she can be a bit, uh, bossy. Like mother like daughter I guess. We're trying to curb it, but I think it's a lost cause. Bean thinks grade one is so boring. "He talks SO much mom," she said after I asked her how her first day went. And she totally has a phobia of public restrooms. The other day she came home after not going to the bathroom since the middle of the night, ran into the house and said something like, "I'll talk to you in a minute, I hafta go to the bathroom!" Good grief! That cannot be healthy! She couldn't even really tell me what about the bathroom made her nervous, so this morning I took her to school early and we had a tour of the bathroom. I think it's all sorted out now. I hope!

Beast's doing well. Getting into everything. His favorite things are shoes. Eww. He tries to eat them. Crocs and flip flops are his snack of choice. I try to keep them away as much as possible, but he always seems to find them. He's not walking yet, and now that he's proficient in crawling, he doesn't seem to have any desire to move on to the next step. Oh well; I'm okay with that. I just wish he would learn to crawl back down the stairs.

1 comment:

Lis said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. The poor guy on the bus. How sad. The girls are darling!